Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What Was I Thinking?

What was I thinking? Seriously?

No, not about quitting my job. That was definitely the right decision. I am so glad to not have to go back to that office. But I thought I could watch a four month old baby in addition to Baby J? Yes, I had a moment (a long moment) of crazy. I watched Mr. G for three days and let me tell you, it was a ton of work (duh). He's a good baby, but man oh man. I was just waiting for one of them to have a melt down the whole time. The first day they both melted down at the same time. I strapped Baby J into the baby bjorn so I could hold Mr. G too, but that only lasted so long. Luckily these few days were a trial run and I told Mr. G's mom I needed a few days to think about things. Besides not being able to console them both at the same time and feeling like I'm neglecting one half the time, I'm getting paid squat. I'm getting paid a daycare rate not a babysitting rate. The daycare rate only works for people when they have more than one child. The babysitting rate would be twice as much and I know they are not willing to pay that. Seriously, I'm not even making minimum wage and I have Mr. G for nine hours when he's here. Exhausting.

The good news is that I have a job interview on Monday for a job that I hope will be mostly from home. I got the lead on the job from a friend of my husband's. She thought a lot of it could be done from home so we'll see how the interview goes. I'm also dropping my resume off at a baby shop today that lets you bring your child to work with you. They aren't hiring now but may be soon. If I could do my little data entry job and bring Baby J to me at the kid's store, that might be enough for us to get by. Fingers crossed!

Otherwise we're doing quite well. I feel like we've settled into a good rhythm around here. Sister seems to be doing pretty well and it's nice having her around. She's very helpful and loves to hold Baby J. Hubby, although still stressed about me having no real income, is doing well. Since gas is freaking ridiculous he's been taking the bus this week to work. And while the bus system seems to be conspiring against him, he hasn't quite been able to make the connections he's supposed to because one bus is late or another is early, I think he's enjoying it.